Materia Medica - Important
The information that is available at or
through this site is not intended directly
or by implication to either diagnose or
treat any medical, emotional, or
psychological condition or disorder. It
is always recommended that consultation
with local health care providers be
obtained for specific health or medical
Semen Sinapsis seu Brassicae
1. Sinapis alba (L.) Boiss.; 2. Brassica Juncea (L.) Czern. et Coss.
Brassica seed, White mustard seed
Source of Earliest Record
Part Used & Method for Pharmaceutical Preparations
After the white mustard ripens in summer or autumn, the seeds are gathered and dried in the sun.
Properties & Taste
Pungent and warm
1. To warm the lungs and resolve phlegm; 2. To invigorate qi circulation and disperse nodules; 3. To open the channels and stop pain
Indications & Combinations
1. Lungs blocked by cold-phlegm manifested as cough with profuse, dilute and white sputum and stifling sensation in the chest. White mustard seed (Baijiezi) is used with Perilla seed (Suzi) and Radish seed (Laifuzi) in the formula Sanzi Yangqing Tang.
2. Retention of phlegm-damp in the chest and diaphragm manifested as distension and pain in the chest and hypochondriac region. White mustard seed (Baijiezi) is used with Kansui root (Gansui) and Peking spurge root (Daji).
3. Channels and collaterals obstructed by phlegm-damp manifested as joint pain and numbness of the limbs. White mustard seed (Baijiezi) is used with Myrrh (Moyao) and Costus root (Muxiang).
4. Yin carbuncles and swellings without discoloration of the skin. White mustard seed (Baijiezi) is used with Antler glue (Lujiaojiao), Cinnamon bark (Rougui) and Prepared rehmannia root (Shudihuang) in the formula Yanghe Tang.
Cautions & Contraindications
This herb is contraindicated in cases with skin allergies.
to Materia Medica