Materia Medica - Important
The information that is available at or
through this site is not intended directly
or by implication to either diagnose or
treat any medical, emotional, or
psychological condition or disorder. It
is always recommended that consultation
with local health care providers be
obtained for specific health or medical
1. Phaseolus calcaratus Roxb.; 2. Phaseolus angularis Wight
Phaseolus seed, Adzuki bean
Source of Earliest Record
Shennong Bencao Jing
Part Used & Method for Pharmaceutical Preparations
The seeds are gathered in autumn and dried in the sun.
Properties & Taste
Sweet or sour and neutral
Heart and small intestine
1. To promote water metabolism and reduce edema; 2. To relieve jaundice; 3. To dispel toxins and eliminate pus
Indications & Combinations
1. Edema. Phaseolus seed (Chixiaodou) is used with Imperata rhizome (Baimaogen) and Mulberry bark (Sangbaipi).
2. Edema due to deficiency in spleen or kidneys. Phaseolus seed (Chixiaodou) is cooked with carp to make a soup for drinking.
3. Boils and carbuncles due to toxic heat. The decoction of Phaseolus seed (Chixiaodou) is used externally for washing.
4. Damp-heat jaundice. Phaseolus seed (Chixiaodou) is used with Oriental wormwood (Yinchenhao) and Capejasmine (Zhizi).
to Materia Medica