Materia Medica - Important
The information that is available at or
through this site is not intended directly
or by implication to either diagnose or
treat any medical, emotional, or
psychological condition or disorder. It
is always recommended that consultation
with local health care providers be
obtained for specific health or medical
Malva verticillata L.
Source of Earliest Record
Shennong Bencao Jing
Part Used & Method for Pharmaceutical Preparations
After the fruit ripens in summer or autumn, the seeds are gathered and ground into powder.
Properties & Taste
Sweet and cold
Large intestine and small intestine
1. To promote urination and regulate abnormal urination; 2. To promote lactation; 3. To moisten intestines and move feces
Indications & Combinations
1. Dysuria and edema. Abutilon (Dongkuizi) is used with Poria (Fuling) and White atractylodes (Baizhu).
2. Scanty urine with blood and painful urination. Abutilon (Dongkuizi) is used with Plantain seed (Cheqianzi), Lygodium spores (Haijinsha) and Talc (Huashi).
3. Obstructed lactation and breast distension. Abutilon (Dongkuizi) is used with Amomum fruit (Sharen) and Ricepaper pith (Tongcao).
4. Constipation. Abutilon (Dongkuizi) is used with herbs that moisten intestines and move feces, such as Chinese angelica root (Danggui), Peach seed (Taoren) and Arborvitae seed (Baiziren).
to Materia Medica