Materia Medica - Important
The information that is available at or
through this site is not intended directly
or by implication to either diagnose or
treat any medical, emotional, or
psychological condition or disorder. It
is always recommended that consultation
with local health care providers be
obtained for specific health or medical
1. Polygonatum sibiricum Red.; 2. Polygonatum cyrtonema Hua; 3. Polygonatum kingianum Coll., et Hemsl.
Siberian solomonseal rhizome
Source of Earliest Record
Part Used & Method for Pharmaceutical Preparations
The rhizomes are dug in autumn. After the fibrous root have been removed, the rhizomes are dried in the sun and cut into slices.
Properties & Taste
Sweet and neutral
Spleen, lung and kidney
1. To nourish the yin and moisten the lungs; 2. To tonify the spleen and promote qi
Indications & Combinations
1. Cough due to lung yin deficiency. Siberian solomonseal (Huangjing) is used with Glehnia root (Shashen), Tendrilled fritillary bulb (Chuanbeimu) and Anemarrhena rhizome (Zhimu).
2. Kidney essence deficiency manifested as soreness in the lower back, dizziness and heat in the feet. Siberian solomonseal (Huangjing) is used with Wolfberry fruit (Gouqizi) and Grossy privet fruit (Nuzhenzi).
3. Deficient qi of the spleen and stomach manifested as lassitude, poor appetite and weak and forceless pulse. Siberian solomonseal (Huangjing) is used with Pilose asiabell root (Dangshen) and White atractylodes (Baizhu).
4. Deficient yin of the spleen and stomach manifested as poor appetite, dry mouth, constipation and red tongue proper with no coating. Siberian solomonseal (Huangjing) is used with Glehnia root (Shashen), Ophiopogon root (Maidong) and Germinated millet (Guya).
5. Diabetes. Siberian solomonseal (Huangjing) is used with Astragalus root (Huangqi), Trichosanthes root (Tianhuafen), Ophiopogon root (Maidong) and Fresh rehmannia root (Shengdihuang).
10-20 g (30-60 g for the fresh herb)
Cautions & Contraindications
This herb is contraindicated in cases of deficient spleen with dampness or cough with profuse sputum or diarrhea due to cold in the spleen and stomach.
to Materia Medica