Materia Medica - Important
The information that is available at or
through this site is not intended directly
or by implication to either diagnose or
treat any medical, emotional, or
psychological condition or disorder. It
is always recommended that consultation
with local health care providers be
obtained for specific health or medical
Rhizoma Dryopteris crassirhizomae
1. Dryopteris crassirhixoma Nakai : 2. Osmunda japonica Thunb. 3. Woodwardia unigemmata (Makino) Nakai
Dryopteris rhizome, Basket fern
Source of Earliest Record
Shennong Bencao Jing
Part Used & Method for Pharmaceutical Preparations
The rhizomes are dug in winter. After the fibrous roots have been removed, the rhizomes are dried in the sun and cut into slices. The herb can be used either raw or carbonized.
Properties & Taste
Bitter and slightly cold
Liver and spleen
1. To kill parasites : 2. To clear heat and release toxins : 3. To stop bleeding
Indications & Combinations
1. Parasites in the intestines: a) hookwormBasket fern (Guanzhong) is used with Torrya seed (Feizi) and Areca seed (Binglang) : b) tapewormBasket fern (Guanzhong) is used with Omphalia (Leiwan) and Areca seed (Binglang) : c) pinwormBasket fern (Guanzhong) is used with Chinaberry bark (Kulianpi) and Carpesium fruit (Heshi).
2. Wind-heat common cold, warm-heat maculopapule and acute parotitis. Basket fern (Guanzhong) is used with Honeysuckle flower (Jinyinhua), Forsythia fruit (Lianqiao), Isatis leaf (Daqingye) and Isatis root (Banlangen).
3. Extravasation of blood by heat manifested as vomiting of blood, epistaxis, bloody stool and functional uterine bleeding. Basket fern (Guanzhong) is used with Biota tops (Cebaiye), Agrimony (Xianhecao) and Carbonized petiole of windmill palm (Zonglutan).
Cautions & Contraindications
The carbonized herb is used to stop bleeding.
to Materia Medica