Materia Medica - Important
The information that is available at or
through this site is not intended directly
or by implication to either diagnose or
treat any medical, emotional, or
psychological condition or disorder. It
is always recommended that consultation
with local health care providers be
obtained for specific health or medical
1. Cimicifuga foetida L.; 2. Cimicifuga dahurica (Turcz) Maxim.; 3. Cimicifuga heracleifolia Kom.
Cimicifuga rhizome, Bugbane rhizome
Source of Earliest Record
Shennong Bencao Jing
Part Used & Method for Pharmaceutical Preparations
The roots, or rhizomes, are dug in summer or autumn and dried in the sun. After removing the fibrous roots, they are soaked in water and cut into pieces.
Properties & Taste
Pungent, sweet and slightly cold
Spleen, lung, large intestine and stomach
1. To release the exterior and bring measle rash to the surface; 2. To clear heat and toxins; 3. To raise the yang-qi
Indications & Combinations
1. Early stage of measles with incomplete expression of the rash. Cimicifuga rhizome (Shengma) is used with Pueraria root (Gegen) in the formula Shengma Gegen Tang.
2. Excessive heat in the stomach meridian manifested as headache, swelling of gums, painful gums, painful teeth and ulceration of tongue and mouth. Cimicifuga rhizome (Shengma) is used with Coptis root (Huanglian), Fresh rehmannia root (Shengdihuang), Gypsum (Shigao) and Moutan bark (Mudanpi) in the formula Qingwei San.
3. Sore throat caused by invasion of exogenous wind and heat. Cimicifuga rhizome (Shengma) is used with Scrophularia (Xuanshen), Platycodon root (Jiegeng), Arctium fruit (Niubangzi) in the formula Niubang Tang.
4. Sinking of qi in the spleen and stomach manifested as chronic diarrhea, prolapse of rectum, uterine prolapse and gastroptosis. Cimicifuga rhizome (Shengma) is used with Ginseng (Renshen), Scutellaria root (Huangqin) and White atractylodes (Baizhu) in the formula Buzhong Yiqi Tang.
5. Boils, carbuncles, furuncles and skin disease. Cimicifuga rhizome (Shengma) is used with Dandelion herb (Pugongying), Honeysuckle flower (Jinyinhua), Forsythia fruit (Lianqiao) and Red peony (Chishao).
Cautions & Contraindications
This herb is contraindicated in patients who have difficulty breathing, who have measles with complete rashes, or who have deficient yin syndrome with heat.
to Materia Medica