Materia Medica - Important
The information that is available at or
through this site is not intended directly
or by implication to either diagnose or
treat any medical, emotional, or
psychological condition or disorder. It
is always recommended that consultation
with local health care providers be
obtained for specific health or medical
1. Arisaema consanguineum Schott.; 2. Arisaema amurense Maxim.; 3. Arisaema heterophyllum Bl.
Source of Earliest Record
Shennong Bencao Jing
Part Used & Method for Pharmaceutical Preparations
The tuberous rhizomes are dug in autumn or winter. After the fibrous roots and bark have been removed, the rhizomes are dried in the sun and cut into slices.
Properties & Taste
Bitter, pungent and warm
Lung, liver and spleen
1. To dry dampness and resolve phlegm; 2. To dispel wind and stop spasms
Indications & Combinations
1. Phlegm-damp cough manifested as profuse, dilute and white sputum and stifling sensation in the chest. Arisaema tuber (Tiannanxing) is used with Pinellia tuber (Banxia), Tangerine peel (Chenpi) and Immature bitter orange (Zhishi) in the formula Daotan Tang.
2. Phlegm-heat in the lungs manifested as cough with profuse, yellow and thick sputum and stifling sensation in the chest. Arisaema tuber with bile (Dannanxing) is used with Scutellaria root (Huangqin) and Trichosanthes fruit (Gualou).
3. Wind-phlegm manifested as dizziness, vertigo, rattling sound in the windpipe, facial paralysis, epilepsy and convulsions in tetanus. Arisaema tuber (Tiannanxing) is used with Pinellia tuber (Banxia), Gastrodia tuber (Tianma) and Typhonium tuber (Baifuzi).
Cautions & Contraindications
This herb is contraindicated during pregnancy. In general, the raw herb is not used for internal use.
to Materia Medica