Materia Medica - Important
The information that is available at or
through this site is not intended directly
or by implication to either diagnose or
treat any medical, emotional, or
psychological condition or disorder. It
is always recommended that consultation
with local health care providers be
obtained for specific health or medical
1. Trichosanthes kirilowii Maxim.; 2. Trichosanthes japonica Regel.
Trichosanthes root, Snakegourd root
Source of Earliest Record
Shennong Bencao Jing
Part Used & Method for Pharmaceutical Preparations
The roots are dug in autumn or winter. After cleaning, the skin is peeled off. Then, the roots are cut into pieces or slices and dried in the sun.
Properties & Taste
Bitter, slightly sweet and cold
Lung and stomach
1. To clear heat and promote the production of body fluids; 2. To reduce swelling and dispel pus
Indications & Combinations
1. Thirst in febrile diseases. Trichosanthes root (Tianhuafen) is used with Glehnia root (Shashen), Ophiopogon root (Maidong) and Reed root (Lugen).
2. Extreme thirst in diabetes. Trichosanthes root (Tianhuafen) is used with Pueraria root (Gegen), Schisandra fruit (Wuweizi) and Anemarrhena rhizome (Zhimu).
3. Dry cough due to lung heat. Trichosanthes root (Tianhuafen) is used with Mulberry bark (Sangbaipi), Tendrilled fritillary bulb (Chuanbeimu) and Platycodon root (Jiegeng).
4. Boils and carbuncles. Trichosanthes root (Tianhuafen) is used with Forsythia fruit (Lianqiao), Dandelion herb (Pugongying), Tendrilled fritillary bulb (Chuanbeimu) and Honeysuckle flower (Jinyinhua).
Cautions & Contrain dications
This herb should be used with caution during pregnancy.
to Materia Medica