Materia Medica - Important
The information that is available at or
through this site is not intended directly
or by implication to either diagnose or
treat any medical, emotional, or
psychological condition or disorder. It
is always recommended that consultation
with local health care providers be
obtained for specific health or medical
Scrophularia ningpoensiis Hemsl.
Scrophularia root, Ningpo figwort root
Source of Earliest Record
Shennong Bencao Jing
Part Used & Method for Pharmaceutical Preparations
The roots are dug in the period at the Beginning of Winter (nineteenth solar term) and dried in the sun until they are black on the inside, then they are cut into slices.
Properties & Taste
Bitter, sweet-salty and cold
Lung, stomach and kidney
1. To clear heat and nourish yin; 2. To release toxins and nodules
Indications & Combinations
1. Sore throat caused by exogenous pathogenic wind. Scrophularia (Xuanshen) is used with Arctium fruit (Niubangzi), Platycodon root (Jiegeng) and Mentha (Bohe).
2. Sore throat caused by excessive interior heat. Scrophularia (Xuanshen) is used with Ophiopogon root (Maidong), Platycodon root (Jiegeng) and raw Licorice root (Gancao).
3. Boils carbuncles and furuncles. Scrophularia (Xuanshen) is used with Honeysuckle flower (Jinyinhua) and raw Licorice root (Gancao).
4. Scrofula, goiter and subcutaneous nodules. Scrophularia (Xuanshen) is used with Tendrilled fritillary bulb (Chuanbeimu) and Oyster shell (Muli).
5. Febrile disease in which pathogenic factors attack the nutritive and blood levels : a) thirst, fever, insomnia and deep red tongue proper with scanty coatingScrophularia (Xuanshen) is used with Fresh rehmannia root (Shengdihuang) and Ophiopogon root (Maidong); b) high fever, unconsciousness and maculopapuleScrophularia (Xuanshen) is used with Anemarrhena rhizome (Zhimu), Gypsum (Shigao) and Rhinoceros horn (Xijiao).
6. Constipation due to dryness in the intestines. Scrophularia (Xuanshen) is used with Fresh rehmannia root (Shengdihuang) and Ophiopogon root (Maidong).
Cautions & Contraindications
Scrophularia (Xuanshen) is contraindicated in cases with weakness of the spleen and stomach and should not be combined with Black false bellebore (Lilu).
to Materia Medica