Materia Medica - Important
The information that is available at or
through this site is not intended directly
or by implication to either diagnose or
treat any medical, emotional, or
psychological condition or disorder. It
is always recommended that consultation
with local health care providers be
obtained for specific health or medical
1. Polygala tenuifolia Willd.; 2. Polygala Sibirica L.
Source of Earliest Record
Shennong Bencao Jing
Part Used & Method for Pharmaceutical Preparations
The roots are dug in spring or autumn. After the fibrous roots have been removed, the roots are cleaned in water and dried in the sun.
Properties & Taste
Pungent, bitter and slightly warm
Lung and heart
1. To calm the heart and soothe the mind; 2. To resolve phlegm and clear the orifices (sense organs)
Indications & Combinations
1. Insomnia and forgetfulness. Polygala root (Yuanzhi) is used with Ginseng (Renshen) and Grass-leaved sweetflag (Shichangpu) in the formula Buwang San.
2. Palpitations and restlessness. Polygala root (Yuanzhi) is used with Wild jujube seed (Suanzaoren) and Dragon's bone (Longgu).
3. Turbid phlegm disturbing the heart manifested as mental disorders and unconsciousness. Polygala root (Yuanzhi) is used with Grassleaved sweetflag (Shichangpu) and Curcuma root (Yujin).
4. Cough with excessive thick sputum or sputum that is difficult to expectorate. Polygala root (Yuanzhi) is used with Apricot seed (Xingren), Platycodon root (Jiegeng) and Licorice root (Gancao).
Cautions & Contraindications
This herb should be used with caution in cases with gastric ulcer or gastritis.
to Materia Medica