Materia Medica - Important
The information that is available at or
through this site is not intended directly
or by implication to either diagnose or
treat any medical, emotional, or
psychological condition or disorder. It
is always recommended that consultation
with local health care providers be
obtained for specific health or medical
Radix Lithospermi seu Arnebiae
1. Lithospermun erythrorhizon sieb. et zucc; 2. Arnebia euchroma (Royle Johnst); 3. Macrotomia euchroma
Lithospermun root, Arnebia root, Groomwell root
Source of Earliest Record
Shennong Bencao Jing
Part Used & Method for Pharmaceutical Preparations
The roots are dug in spring or autumn, dried in the sun, soaked in water and cut into slices.
Properties & Taste
Sweet and cold
Heart and liver
1. To cool blood and invigorate blood; 2. To release toxins and bring the rash to the surface; 3. To promote bowel movement and moisten the intestines
Indications & Combinations
1. Incomplete expression of rash in measles due to toxic heat in the blood. Arnebia (Zicao) is used with Cicada slough (Chantui), Arctium fruit (Niubangzi).
2. Maculopapule in febrile disease. Arnebia (Zicao) is used with Red peony (Chishao), Moutan bark (Mudanpi), Honeysuckle flower (Jinyinhua) and Forsythia fruit (Lianqiao).
3. Prevention of measles. Arnebia (Zicao) is used with Licorice root (Gancao).
4. Boils, carbuncles, burns and injury due to cold. Arnebia (Zicao) is used with Chinese angelica root (Danggui), Dahurian angelica root (Baizhi) and Dragon's blood (Xuejie) as an external application in the formula Shengji Yuhong Gao.
Cautions & Contraindications
This herb is contraindicated during weakness of the spleen accompanied by diarrhea.
Herbs that clear heat and release toxins
The category of herbs that clear heat and release toxins is indicated in
syndromes caused by excessive toxic heat, including boils, carbuncles, furuncles,
maculopapule, erysipelas, sore throat and dysentery. Some of these herbs may
help arrest cancerous growth and release the poison from snake bites.
to Materia Medica