Materia Medica - Important
The information that is available at or
through this site is not intended directly
or by implication to either diagnose or
treat any medical, emotional, or
psychological condition or disorder. It
is always recommended that consultation
with local health care providers be
obtained for specific health or medical
Radix et Rhizome Stauntoni
1. Cynanchum stauntoni (Decne.) Schltr. ex Levl.; 2. Dynanchum glaucescens Hand.-Mazz.
Cynanchum root, Swallowwort rhizome
Source of Earliest Record
Part Used & Method for Pharmaceutical Preparations
The roots are dug in autumn, cleaned and dried in the sun and cut into pieces.
Properties & Taste
Pungent, sweet and neutral
1. To resolve phlegm and stop cough; 2. To conduct qi downward
Indications & Combinations
1. Cough due to invasion by exogenous pathogenic factors. Swallowwort rhizome (Baiqian) is used with Schizonepeta (Jingjie) and Platycodon root (Jiegeng) in the formula Zhisuo San.
2. Turbid phlegm blocking the lungs : a) cold-phlegm coughSwallowwort rhizome (Baiqian) is used with Pinellia tuber (Banxia) and Perilla seed (Suzi); b) phlegm-heat coughSwallowwort rhizome (Baiqian) is used with Trichosanthes fruit (Gualou).
3. Cough, asthma, edema and rattling sound in the throat. Swallowwort rhizome (Baiqian) is used with Aster root (Ziwan) and Peking spurge root (Daji) in the formula Baiqian Tang.
to Materia Medica