Materia Medica - Important
The information that is available at or
through this site is not intended directly
or by implication to either diagnose or
treat any medical, emotional, or
psychological condition or disorder. It
is always recommended that consultation
with local health care providers be
obtained for specific health or medical
Spirodela polyrrhiza (L.) Schield.
Source of Earliest Record
Shennong Bencao Jing
Part Used & Method for Pharmaceutical Preparations
The whole plant is gathered in summer, cleaned and dried in the sun.
Properties & Taste
Pungent and cold
Lung and urinary bladder
1. To promote sweating and release the exterior: 2. To bring measles rash to the surface and relieve itching: 3. To remove water and reduce swelling
Indications & Combinations
1. Wind-heat type of exterior syndrome. Spirodela (Fuping) is used with Schizonepeta (Jingjie), Mentha (Bohe) and Forsythia fruit (Lianqiao).
2. Measles without full expression of rash. Spirodela (Fuping) is used with Mentha (Bohe), Arctium fruit (Niubangzi) and Cicada slough (Chantui).
3. Wind-heat type of incomplete rashes and itching of the skin. Spirodela (Fuping) is used with Mentha (Bohe) and Arctium fruit (Niubangzi).
4. Edema and difficult urination accompanied by exterior syndrome. Spirodela (Fuping) can be mashed and taken alone.
Cautions & Contraindications
This herb is contraindicated in cases with weak constitution and spontaneous sweating.
to Materia Medica