Materia Medica - Important
The information that is available at or
through this site is not intended directly
or by implication to either diagnose or
treat any medical, emotional, or
psychological condition or disorder. It
is always recommended that consultation
with local health care providers be
obtained for specific health or medical
Herba seu Flos Schizonepetae
Schizonepeta tenuifolia Briq.
Source of Earliest Record
Shennong Bencao Jing
Part Used & Method for Pharmaceutical Preparations
The aerial part of the plant is gathered in autumn and winter, dried in the shade and cut into pieces. It can be used raw or baked until yellow and black in color.
Properties & Taste
Pungent and warm
Lung and liver
1. To release the exterior and expel wind; 2. To stop bleeding
Indications & Combinations
1. Wind-cold exterior syndrome manifested as headache, chills, fever and absence of sweating. Schizonepeta (Jingjie) is used with Ledebouriella root (Fangfeng) and Notopterygium root (Qianghuo).
2. Wind-heat exterior syndrome manifested as fever, headache, sore throat and slight sweating or no sweating. Schizonepeta (Jingjie) is used with Forsythia fruit (Lianqiao), Mentha (Bohe) and Platycodon root (Jiegeng) in the formula Yin Qiao San.
3. Measles and skin eruption with itching. Schizonepeta (Jingjie) is used with Mentha (Bohe), Cicada slough (Chantui) and Arctium fruit (Niubangzi) to bring the rash to the surface and alleviate itching.
4. Hemorrhagic diseases, such as epistaxis, bloody stool and uterine bleeding. Carbonized Schizonepeta (Jingjie) is used with the ohter herbs that stop bleeding.
Cautions & Contraindications
To stop bleeding, this herb should be carbonized (or baked until yellow and black in color).
to Materia Medica