Materia Medica - Important
The information that is available at or
through this site is not intended directly
or by implication to either diagnose or
treat any medical, emotional, or
psychological condition or disorder. It
is always recommended that consultation
with local health care providers be
obtained for specific health or medical
Prunus mume (Sieb.) Sieb. et Zucc.
Black plum, Mume
Source of Earliest Record
Shennong Bencao Jing
Part Used & Method for Pharmaceutical Preparations
The unripe fruit is gathered in the period at the Beginning of Summer (seventh solar term). It is baked at a low temperature until the skins turn black. The plum stone is removed.
Properties & Taste
Sour and neutral
Spleen, lung and large intestine
1. To astringe the lungs and stop cough; 2. To restrain the intestines and stop diarrhea; 3. To promote the production of body fluids; 4. To expel roundworms
Indications & Combinations
1. Chronic cough due to deficiency of the lungs. Black plum (Wumei) is used with Poppy capsule (Yingsuqiao), Donkey hide gelatin (Ejiao) and Apricot seed (Xingren).
2. Chronic diarrhea or dysentery. Black plum (Wumei) is used with Nutmeg (Roudoukou), Chebula fruit (Hezi) and Poppy capsule (Yingsuqiao).
3. Acute dysentery. Black plum (Wumei) is used with Coptis root (Huanglian).
4. Diabetes. Black plum (Wumei) is used with Trichosanthes root (Tianhuafen), Ophiopogon root (Maidong), Ginseng (Renshen) and Pueraria root (Gegen).
5. Roundworms in the biliary tract manifested as abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting. Black plum (Wumei) is used with Asarum herb (Xixin) and Coptis root (Huanglian) in the formula Wumei Wan.
Cautions & Contraindications
This herb is contraindicated in cases with exterior syndrome or accumulation
of excessive heat in the interior.
to Materia Medica