Materia Medica - Important
The information that is available at or
through this site is not intended directly
or by implication to either diagnose or
treat any medical, emotional, or
psychological condition or disorder. It
is always recommended that consultation
with local health care providers be
obtained for specific health or medical
Fructus Amomi kravanh
1. Amomum kravanh Pierre ex Gagnep. 2. Amomum compactum Soland. ex Maton
Round cardamom seed
Source of Earliest Record
Part Used & Method for Pharmaceutical Preparations
The yellow fruit is gathered from October to December, dried in the sun and broken into pieces.
Properties & Taste
Pungent and warm
Lung, spleen and stomach
1. To promote qi circulation and transform dampness;2. To warm the spleen and stomach and stop vomiting
Indications & Combinations
1. Dampness blocking spleen and stomach or qi stagnation in the spleen manifested as distension, fullness and no appetite. Round cardamom seed (Baidoukou) is used with Magnolia bark (Houpo), Atractylodes rhizome (Cangzhu) and Tangerine peel (Chenpi).
2. Early stage of damp-heat febrile diseases manifested as stifling sensation in the chest, absence of hunger and sticky tongue coating. Round cardamom seed (Baidoukou) is used with Talc (Huashi), Coix seed (Yiyiren) and Amomum fruit (Sharen) in the formula Sanren Tang. For cases of excess heat, Round cardamom seed (Baidoukou) is used with Scutellaria root (Huangqin), Coptis root (Huanglian) and Talc (Huashi) in the formula Huangqin Huashi Tang.
3. Vomiting due to cold in the stomach. Round cardamom seed (Baidoukou) is used with Agastache (Huoxiang) and Pinellia tuber (Banxia).
4. Infantile vomiting due to cold in the stomach. Round cardamom seed (Baidoukou) is used with Amomum fruit (Sharen) and Licorice root (Gancao).
to Materia Medica