Materia Medica - Important
The information that is available at or
through this site is not intended directly
or by implication to either diagnose or
treat any medical, emotional, or
psychological condition or disorder. It
is always recommended that consultation
with local health care providers be
obtained for specific health or medical
1. Phellodendron amurense Rupr.; 2. Phellodendron chinense Schneid.
Source of Earliest Record
Shennong Bencao Jing
Part Used & Method for Pharmaceutical Preparations
The bark should be gathered during Pure Brightness (fifth solar term). After the coarse bark is peeled off, it is dried in the sun and cut into slices. The raw bark is used, or it can be fried with salt.
Properties & Taste
Bitter and cold
Kidney, urinary bladder and large intestine
1. To clear heat and dry dampness; 2. To reduce fire and release toxins
Indications & Combinations
1. Damp-heat syndrome : a) damp-heat accumulated in intestines manifested as diarrhea and dysenteryPhellodendron bark (Huangbai) is used with Pulsatilla root (Baitouweng), Coptis root (Huanglian) and Scutellaria root (Huangqin); b) internal accumulation of damp-heat manifested as jaundicePhellodendron bark (Huangbai) is used with Capejasmine (Zhizi) and Oriental wormwood (Yinchenhao); c) downward flowing of damp-heat, turbid urination and yellow, thick leukorrheaPhellodendron bark (Huangbai) is used with Plantain seed (Cheqianzi), Bamboo leaf (Zhuye) and Clematis stem (Mutong); d) boils caused by dampness in the lower part of the bodyPhellodendron bark (Huangbai) is used with Atractylodes rhizome (Cangzhu).
2. General boils, carbuncles, furuncles and eczema. Phellodendron bark (Huangbai) is used with Scutellaria root (Huangqin) and Capejasmine (Zhizi). For external use, Phellodendron bark (Huangbai) is pounded into a powder mixed with Talc (Huashi).
3. Deficiency of yin with heat manifested as noturnal emissions and night sweating. Phellodendron bark (Huangbai) is used with Anemarrhena rhizome (Zhimu) and Fresh rehmannia root (Shengdihuang).
Cautions & Contraindications
This herb is contraindicated in cases with weakness and cold in the spleen and stomach.
Cortex phellodendri a.k.a Phellodendron bark (Huangbai) .
to Materia Medica